Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is it wrong to play the "It's My Birthday" card?

Yes it's my birthday and I've had all sorts of nice birthday wishes today. There was a sweet card on the kitchen table from my husband when I woke up. My wonderful co-worker Beth took the time to make a delicious lemon cake to celebrate. I am blessed with many good friends and I feel special.

But back-up to 5:30 this morning...I usually get up, fetch a cup of coffee and sit down with the cat on my lap to watch the news, read twitter and e-mail on my phone. Then I head in for a shower to get ready for work. Today was no different except that when I grabbed my coffee and cell phone, I accidentally pushed a button and hit a speed dial. Looking at the screen of my phone revealed that I was calling my daughter so I quickly pushed the end button and headed for the shower. A few minutes later my sleepy husband handed me the phone (after I dried off because blackberry's are expensive) and there was my frantic daughter on the other end of the line. It seems that she had been me back calling and I had not heard the phone. Apparently she began to panic thinking that something was terribly wrong because I had called so early and then didn't (or in her imagination couldn't) answer the phone. I explained what had happened and said that I was so, so sorry. She sounded sort of upset that I woke her so early so I just had to play the "It's My Birthday" card. I said "Oh I thought that you were calling me to tell me "Happy Birthday" and her tone immediately changed. She said "Happy Birthday Mama, I love you." Sigh...I feel a little guilty, getting off so easy but it was awful nice to hear that first thing this morning.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!