Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pandora is my new obsession

The ladies at the Kingfisher office last week were all excited about Pandora. They had found it right before we had to give back the BlackBerry phones the company let us use for a month. I had forgotten about it until last weekend so I checked it out and wow. I really love it.

I have always been a supporter of broadcast radio because I used to work at a tiny radio station out in the middle of a cow pasture. Think about the one in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Remind me to enter "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" into my Pandora. Thank you.



There is a sense of community about a small town radio station. We provided a valuable service. Weather reports concerning our area instead of just Oklahoma City forecasts. Weather is a big deal this time of year in Oklahoma. We did live broadcasts of local high school sporting events so that no Grandparent ever had to miss a game. We announced deaths and births and local news several times throughout the day. We had live coverage of every parade in the county. It was an interesting job and I enjoyed it. Except for the mice... But a radio station makes its money from commercials. When I began working at the station, I was told that my job was to play commercials with a little music mixed in here and there. A gospel station from another community bought our little KIMY and there is no more local news except for the weekly newspaper.

Pandora on my BlackBerry has no commercials. If I don't like a particular song, I can skip it. Just be sure that you have a data package on your cell account if you decide to try it. Mine is unlimited and I've not had any charges for using Pandora. I've checked daily to be sure it's free and so far I've not had any charges for using it. It's nice to have the capability to edit my choices on their website. I've listened to it at work in my quiet corner too. I think it's good stuff.





No comments: