Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recollections

I'm in Okeene today and the water here tastes funky. They have one of those little filter things that dispenses from a separate faucet at the sink but it still tastes weird to me. Their water wells are located several miles away and surely that long stretch of pipe has stuff growing in it. I am a water snob.

Anyway, I stepped out just past noon to buy some water and heard the bells from the church. They were playing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". When I was a little girl my father was the water superintendent for our town. He used to take me with him most evenings to check the water wells. He had this peanut can and would fill it with water straight from the well. It was so cold and delicious. That's one of the reasons behind the water snobbishness. Is that a word? Snobbishness? One night on the way home he sang a Capella "Glory, Glory Hallelujah the truth is marching on!" With gusto even! Nice memory of my father.






No comments: